Ads 468x60px

Monday, June 20, 2011

Facebook Snafu

Facebook dilemma
I've been on Facebook a long time. All my family and friends mingle with me there. It's where we try to keep in contact and stay up to date with each other.

Now that I've launched my platform as an author, I find a lot of my awesome twitter friends finding me on facebook.

I consider myself a straightforward person... Pretty much anything you want to know, just ask. But my facebook page is my real world. My kids photos are there. My best friends link with me and my family's all there. I'm just not sure that I want to mix that world with my new authorly world and I'm not sure my friends/family would like it either.
You know?

Don't get me wrong... It's an interesting dilemma to have. But one that makes me take pause and draw a line in the sand. I don't use a fake name, I have enough personas in my head already. I don't need to create a new one for myself. Besides, in the age of the internet, people could figure out who I am anyway. Especially if my books eventually do well.

So here's the thing...


I know I have a back log of you wonderful people knocking on my door to come in... and I don't want to turn you away. 

{sigh}

But I think I have to. 


I created an author fan page on facebook (something I didn't figure I needed since I had one for the Pendomus Chronicles).

For the sake of my friends and family, it doesn't feel right to mingle my Twitter/author world with my real world in that way.

I hope you understand and I'd love it if you'd go hang out with me on my author page. I'll still respond there and I'd love the dialogue. I'll try to keep the content different from that on Pendomus so they can both by dynamic sites own their own.

Thanks for understanding and I'll see you lovely people there!

7 comments:

Katja Rinne said...

I think an author page is much better than a book fan page. You're probably going to write more than just that one series, so through your author page you can promote all your work while something dedicated only to one specific series is very limited.

I would love to just delete my Facebook account and once I almost did it, but caved back in during the two weeks thinking time. I have no information there though and I feel uneasy sharing anything there, since there's different groups in my life and I don't want everyone to be able to stalk everything I do. When I get there, I'll make an author page to use with my writing.

KendallGrey said...

The real person vs. the author is a tough thing to deal with. I created my pen name (and associated Twitter and FB accounts) for the same reasons you state here - the author me is not the same person as the real me. My family is separate from my work, and I don't like for the two to mingle much. Yes, I'll post funny stuff my kids say, but I don't use their names or post pictures of them on my Kendall Grey accounts.

I'll never be famous, but hopefully one day *someone* will buy my books. I'm perfectly content for my readers to believe in the image rather than know much about the real me.

Carissa Andrews said...

@Katja- I've never considered deleting it, I like to keep contact with everyone... I've just never felt a need to hide behind another name. It works for a lot of people, it just didn't feel right to me. And I think you're right. The author page does make sense (looking back). I've been so focused on the series, that it's where my mind/heart has been.

@Kendall- I adore your pen name! My hubby and I discussed it before I started to launch anything (blog, twitter, etc), but I just couldn't do it. Let's face it, a better last name would've been smart. HA! But I like being... me. It's weird. And if no one else does, I AM THERE FOR YOU. You know at least *one* person is gonna buy those bad boys! ;) <3

Unknown said...

Wow, that's a freaky coincidence. It's practically what I've been thinking about these past two weeks! Some people have wanted to friend me on facebook and that's okay but... you know, the real life friends, the pictures. Somehow, facebook is too personal. So I've decided to start another account. And I liked your fanpage by the way. How do you start an account with like on top? I've only ever started my personal one.. :S

Anonymous said...

Good for you, Carissa! I'm in the same dilemma where I have many friends and family but I've chosen to do the opposite. I'm now thinking it may have been a bad idea. Never liked the idea of my authorly world mixing with my real world. I think the author page you have set up is awesome. I may have to do the same, yet it's tricky now for me cuz I will have to unfriend many of my buds from Twitterland.

Gosh, I wish I had foresight! :)

Anita Grace Howard said...

Look at you, miss popular! But I don't blame you. Keep the writing life separate from the family life. I need to create one of those author pages. I'm just sooooo lazy. Heh. I'll check out your author page soon and get some pointers from it. :)

TLJeffcoat said...

I feel the same with my Facebook page, but I'm not really all that private of a person either. Online or in person, this is actually the real me speaking, this is how I am on or off the web. I have an author page on FB, but if someone sends a friend invite to my personal FB page, I'll accept it if I've enjoyed some interaction with that person over a period of time. I don't have anything secret or personal enough that I'm worried about who is snooping either. I have lived my whole life with the philosophy of be yourself and people will either like you or they won't, and I'm an open book to pretty much anyone who doesn't creep me out. That's just me though.
Do what you have to do, and I want to say I'm already following one of your FB pages. Going to have to make sure I get them both.