Ads 468x60px

Sunday, April 3, 2011

The Wonders of Writing

It never ceases to amaze me how much of a release writing a novel has been for me. Before I started this journey, it never occurred to me just how many pent up thoughts, feelings and messages I carried around with me.

Every day is a new day. Some days I've written less than a paragraph, others days-- entire chapters. Sometimes even more than that. But the thing that has remained constant since last November is the habit of writing.

I've gotten up nearly every day at 5am to sit down and write. Why 5am? Because I'm so far from a night owl, it's practically ridiculous. Plus, I have small kids. It helps that I find the wee hours of the morning is when my brain is functioning optimally for my creative flow. Especially if I've managed to get enough sleep the night before. Additionally, I still work 2 other jobs and as much as I'd like to focus solely on writing, it can't happen. Not yet. (Fingers crossed for the future, though.)

Another fascinating thing to me, is in this short amount of time (6 months), I've noticed the internal ups and downs within my own mind. How too little sleep affects my writing-- or not enough water. If I try to skip workouts or had a drink the night before. If I'm sick or I'm not being present enough with my kids. Even if I become too obsessed, spending too much time in my world of Pendomus. There have been times when that world has seemed more enticing to be in than the real one! The characters are so real and so loud in my head some days that I can't seem to make them stop talking, even if I tried.

But it's this journey of writing that amazing me. How it's brought into sharp focus the need for balance. Balance in writing, balance in home life. Balance in EVERY aspect of life. Something as seemingly insignificant as not drinking water can mess with my brain -- and I've noticed! It's revealed so much about the inner workings an makeup of my mind and for that, I'm extremely grateful.

Even if my book were never to be published, I can take heart in the fact that it's brought me into focus. Probably better than any other single thing I've done.

Of course, the optimist in me really hopes that you all will love my world as much as I do.

And I think you will. ;)

0 comments: